how to increase the RAM address?

If you have something to say about LogicCircuit program or you know how to improve it please share it here.
digitalman

how to increase the RAM address?

Post by digitalman »

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a logic circuit which has a pair of 128k x 8-bit ram chip. The problem is that the LogicCircuit program supports only up to 15 addr bit just short of 1-bit for my need. Instead of modifying the source code, is there simpler way of combine two ram chip to accomplish the task?

After some searching in the source code. I found and changed the variable 'MaxAddressBitWidth' from 16 to 17 in "Memory.cs," I'll try to recompile the code and see that will do it. Thanks!

V/r,
Long
admin
Site Admin

Re: how to increase the RAM address?

Post by admin »

It is actually supports 16 bits address which is 1 bit shorter for 128k indeed.
You can build bigger memory from 2 chunks of 64K.
digitalman

Post by digitalman »

I recompile the code after changing the max from 16 to 17, and it seems to work properly. I'll try to combine 2-64k x 8 bit ram to emulate 128k x 8 bit ram.
digitalman

Post by digitalman »

it looks like implementing larger ram with smaller ram modules would take some work. it's doable, but the stock ram module needs to be added with chip enable control along with a decoder to select the ram modules. Also, in order to tie the ram modules output together, tri-state buffers will need to be added for each output bits. I'll settle with changing the source code from maximum addressable bit of 16 to 17 for now.