Potential misuse of this forum -or: wishes

If you have something to say about LogicCircuit program or you know how to improve it please share it here.
error

Potential misuse of this forum -or: wishes

Post by error »

Hello.

First I need to say that you are allowed to be amoused about my english cause it's quality may vary. ;)
Next I don't really know if this is the right place to make wishes concerning features of LogicCircuit...

I'm using LogicCircuit for relatively basic Circuits. Currently I'am designing a Multiplexer and I'll finish with an ALU.

Still this is a lot of work and during this several points came up which I wanted at last to communicate to you.

* The objects/wires snap in on the raster only from the lower-right. It would be much more faster if they would align to the grid from "all sides" around the point which I was targeting.
* The wires are fixed to the grid. Every "Circuit-Designing"-tool I used so far connects the wires to the objects and extends or shorten them dynamically when moving the objects.
* It took me all variations of flipflops and the 4bit-adder until I understood how wire-placement works. Click somewhere far the connection point of a wire to end wiring. Click at the point to create another wire. This simple tips would be handy somewhere in the fast introduction to the program.
* A tree-style grouping function of the user-generated circuits in the project (like in simulation-mode) would make it easier to keep overview.
* Why are all gates limited to uneven numbers of input pins? So I had to create my own 4-input-NAND...
* A possibility to show the bit-states of a wire by color would be cool for debugging... (for example blue for 0, red for 1, multi-bit-wires remain black)

I hope this all doesn't sounds demanding... Your program is really cool and I love it for its simple, tidy interface and the speed. I tried two other Java-based tools wich used to crash and perform low compared to your's.
So I'll furthermore use LogicCircuit even if your going to ignore me completely :D

Regards
admin
Site Admin

Re: Potential misuse of this forum -or: wishes

Post by admin »

Hi,
Thank you for using LogicCircuit and sharing your ideas.
error wrote: * The objects/wires snap in on the raster only from the lower-right. It would be much more faster if they would align to the grid from "all sides" around the point which I was targeting.
This is already fixed in the latest version. Please download and install it to get your elements sticking to the nearest grid point.
error wrote: * The wires are fixed to the grid. Every "Circuit-Designing"-tool I used so far connects the wires to the objects and extends or shorten them dynamically when moving the objects.
Yes this is known problem and should be fixed in the future.
error wrote:* It took me all variations of flipflops and the 4bit-adder until I understood how wire-placement works. Click somewhere far the connection point of a wire to end wiring. Click at the point to create another wire. This simple tips would be handy somewhere in the fast introduction to the program.
It is actually mentioned on the short help page but I guess it needs to be stated more clearly.
error wrote: * A tree-style grouping function of the user-generated circuits in the project (like in simulation-mode) would make it easier to keep overview.
This is a very nice idea.
error wrote: * Why are all gates limited to uneven numbers of input pins? So I had to create my own 4-input-NAND...
All gates have odd number of input pins because it is possible to view them in shaped form. If you open Options dialog in the Tools/Options menu there is a drop down where you can choose rectangular or shaped gates. And shaped ones are should have odd number of pins because they are vertically symmetrical.
But you do not need to create your own gates with even number of pins because you can leave a pin unconnected. It will work like the gate has one pin less.
error wrote: * A possibility to show the bit-states of a wire by color would be cool for debugging... (for example blue for 0, red for 1, multi-bit-wires remain black)
This is also a good idea. But currently you can use probes for this purpose. Just add it to the output you are interested and it will show you the state of the wire. Plus if it is multi-bit wire it will show its entire state. Moreover you can double click the probe when in running mode and see the history of values or you can open oscilloscope and see how the value get change relatively to other values.
error wrote: I hope this all doesn't sounds demanding... Your program is really cool and I love it for its simple, tidy interface and the speed. I tried two other Java-based tools wich used to crash and perform low compared to your's.
Thanks a lot; it is really matter for me to know that you like it.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Potential misuse of this forum -or: wishes

Post by admin »

Hi there,
Thanks for providing your feedback. Many issues are fixed now and you can download new version and check if it works better for you.
So wires are sticky to pins now and you need to press Shift to move circuits without them.
Drawing wires are much easier now.
New property “Category” added to logical circuit so they will be grouped by categories in the left pane. It is not tree, but should be very handy.
Help page on the web site get improved so it will be better coverage of features and way of using them.
Please feel free to download and try all the new features you’ve been asking for.