Open-Source license of LogicCircuit

If you have something to say about LogicCircuit program or you know how to improve it please share it here.
circuitsForTeaching

Open-Source license of LogicCircuit

Post by circuitsForTeaching »

Dear all,

I tested LogicCircuit and found it very nicely done and powerful. Thank you very much for this nice piece of open-source software! I intend to use it in the context of a undergraduate class in computer architecture.

It is however not clear to me which open-source licence applies to this software. Although the Web site mentions the term "open-source", I can't find any licence description (for example BSD or GPL) in the source code or on the Web page. May I ask you which licence terms apply?

It is for my University a requirement to know the applicable license, to guarantee the proper usage of the software.

Thank you in advance,
Jonas
admin
Site Admin

Re: Open-Source license of LogicCircuit

Post by admin »

Dear Jonas,
The program is under MIT license: https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
It is also using Iron Python as embedded language which is under Apache 2.0 license: https://opensource.org/licenses/apache2.0.php

Hope this help,
Eugene
circuitsForTeaching

Post by circuitsForTeaching »

Dear Eugene,

Thank you very much for your helpful answer, which perfectly answers my question!

As an outsider to your project, I certainly don't mean to interfere in any way, but I was wondering if it might be a good thing to add a mention of the license to the "About" menu item of the program, both to protect the software and encourage its use?

To answer your "share your experience" invitation on your homepage, here's some context on how I came to know LogicCircuit. I am teaching an introductory class in computer architecture. Exercises include just simple logic circuits, nothing like building a complete CPU. So far, the exercises were carried out with the commercial software Logicly, which I find has a more beautiful interface than for example LogiSim and is therefore less scary especially to beginners. But I just recently discovered LogicCircuit and find it quite pleasing, really. Plus, it is distinctly more powerful than Logicly, and I certainly like the idea of showing the students an open-source rather than a commercial product.

The plan now is to see if I can move to LogicCircuit for the fall 2019 semester. If I do, I will try my best to post some exercises and course materials to this forum.

Thank you again,
Jonas
Xaetral

Post by Xaetral »

woah that's very nice, I had teacher on my list of jobs I could do.
tho finaly I don't want to because I don't want to try teaching something to people not interested in what I'm teaching.
I wish you to get succesful in what you're trying to do

it seems that you found out the exact same thing as me, this software is right between the complexity of logisim and the beautifulness of logicly ^^

you guys surely have a fancy old-school way of writing forum posts :lol: