I want to make a clock that displays time with 15 Led's

An area for asking questions, making suggestion, share ideas and place circuit examples.
Martzz

I want to make a clock that displays time with 15 Led's

Post by Martzz »

This morning i was laying in my bed thinking about my project in school and i came up with an idea about a way to display time using 3 colors of Led's to light up as time passes by, i made the concept of it using paint so you guys whould understand.
http://imgur.com/MGductC

so i have been looking through the program a bit and saw the clock component, with has one output and i have no idea how to decode the output and translate it into the displaying of the led's
admin
Site Admin

Re: I want to make a clock that displays time with 15 Led's

Post by admin »

Hello,
You have a nice idea that worth trying to implement.
The clock component is not a clock that you might see on the wall. It is actually a bit of jargon of people in electronics. So what it doing is just flipping from 0 to 1 and back to 0 and so on and on. But it is doing it with regular intervals. So you can use it as a metronome to coordinate your circuit and synchronize it with actual time.
As a starter you can download a sample circuits from https://logiccircuit.codeplex.com/releases/.
In the zip file there is a digital clock you can either have a look at how it works or add another way to display time to it.
I am eager to see your implementation of colorful clock.
Eugene
Hans Cadans

Re: I want to make a clock that displays time with 15 Led's

Post by Hans Cadans »

Hello Martzz,

Your clock is a marvellous idea (as Eugene already mentioned).
He advised you to look at his design of a clock.

Maybe this design is confusing you a little bit. After reading your message,
I understand, that you aren't a electronic engineer, because you mixed the clock (showing the actual time),
with the clock used in the design of Eugene.

Electronic Engineers also use the word clock, for a electronic circuit, that produces pulses on a regular base.
A pulse is a signal, that switches "timeless" between a high value (for instance 5 Volt) and a low value (0 volt).

So, to be able to help you (if you want it), I need some information.

1. Do you wanna make it as a real circuit or just within logiccircuits?
2. Are you prepared to change the design a little bit?
(your design shows 23 hours as 12+2+2+2+2+2+1,
I suggest to present this as shown in the attachment)
3. Are you willing to build the design bit by bit? (I'll help you with each part).
4. Are you familiar with digital circuits? (It makes the discussion much easier)

Anyhow, I will help you, with everything you need to know, to realize your idea.
I can give you the solution or much better, I will help you to fully understand the individual parts.

Please let me know, how you think about it.

Best Regards
Hans Cadans