7 segment decoder from www.falstad.com

An area for asking questions, making suggestion, share ideas and place circuit examples.
Alexander

7 segment decoder from www.falstad.com

Post by Alexander »

Hi.
In this circuit simulator http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ there is a sample of 7 segment decoder that has less components that the decoders that I found here, and some, that i build myself. I grabbed it from there and now I'm trying to understand its logic and may be I'll build more simple decoder with more clear logic.
Attachments
7-seg_decoder_from_falstad.CircuitProject
grabbed version
(59.55 KiB) Downloaded 1114 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: 7 segment decoder from www.falstad.com

Post by admin »

Yes, this is nice and smaller than one I’ve built, but it only work for 0-9 range, while mine can show all the hexadecimal numbers 0-f. So if one only needs to show decimal numbers yours will be better, but when all the bit combinations are possible then a bit more complicated circuit needs to be used.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

When building the display decoder, the main question is, where to put the special symbols ? Like "blank", "minus" and others. If ABCDEF letters are at their places, then the "minus" and "blank" are at their own pins, but if not what is easier? In my circuit I put the minus at 11 position and the blank at 12. But I haven't build any complex circuit yet to test it.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

This is my version. I think it's really small! If everyone could make smaller I would be pleased to see it! There are just numbers 0-9. The numbers that are displayed after 9 are just the garbage and payment for simplicity.
Attachments
simplest_7-seg_decoder.CircuitProject
(53.43 KiB) Downloaded 972 times
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

This is my version that can show hexadecimal numbers. My decoders work in "inverted" logic. Instead off turning on the needed segments it turning of the unneeded. There are less segments that had to be turned off, so we need less gates!
Attachments
7-seg_0-F_Decoder.CircuitProject
(80.04 KiB) Downloaded 974 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is pretty cool it uses less gates and less input pins for them, so there are going to be less transistors on the real life circuits.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Yes, but it is not critical for this decoders, because it not so useful. Just for the purpose of learning.